Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bring on Baby: With blankets, bibs and bouquets!

What on earth is more fun to plan for than a sweet baby? When I found out that a friend at work was having a girl, my mind went into overdrive thinking of what to make. I started preparing in February, and this past week (finally!) was the baby shower. The mom-to-be was showered with beautiful gifts and everyone had a great time. Here are a few of my contributions.

With  the baby's room done in lavender, white and gray, I chose two flannel prints to make this blanket. I put wrong sides together and stitched around with an heirloom stitch which made tiny holes, then used a tight zig-zag stitch around the edge to prevent fraying. I used a tiny crochet hook to make the holes larger and that was perfect to start a round of crochet. Using a white bedspread cotton, I crocheted around 4 or 5 times.  




I found a baby bib pattern online and bought a package of fabric (coordinating fat quarters) to make these bibs. One pack will probably make a dozen bibs so I have plenty of fabric left for the next baby. I backed each bib with fleece and used a decorative stitch, ribbon or lace where the two fabrics meet. This will be one stylish baby girl, don't you think?

 

At first glance, this may look like a regular bouquet, but get a little closer and you will notice that these are no ordinary flowers. Each flower or bud is made from a baby sock or two. At the shower this was a table decoration, however in a few months the flowers will be removed and placed on adorable tiny baby feet! Meanwhile, they require no water so they are very low-maintenance :-)



I can't take credit for these but I can tell you that they were a huge hit! In addition to being the cutest cupcakes I've ever seen, I can report that they tasted every bit as delicious as they look.  They are from the very talented folks at Creative Cakes by Debby in Nashua, NH.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment