Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ukranian Easter Eggs

A few years ago I talked my friend Pat into attending a class on Pysanky with me.  The class was offered at the Museum of Russian Icons and luckily we live within driving distance of such a place.  We were the last two to be registered in the small class that was offered.


A few of my own Pysanky


Pysanky are Ukrainian Easter Eggs, decorated using beeswax and dyes that are applied in layers. The class advertised "No experience is necessary; all materials will be provided" which was music to our ears!  We spent a great afternoon learning this art and couldn't believe our eyes when we saw the finished products.  Ever since that day, I have been in love with the art of beautiful Ukranian eggs!


This year Easter has really snuck up on me. I have meant to make some new eggs, however there is still snow on the ground and my sunroom (aka Pysanky workshop) is still freezing. So I will show you some eggs that I've made over the last couple of years. They last forever so I can just keep adding to my collection. Maybe I will get inspired over the summer or fall and be ready for Easter next year! Some people make these eggs year-round. (Who knows--there could be a Pysanky cruise out there somewhere!) 


If you are interested in making these eggs, consider taking a class (if you can find one). The best place I have found for ordering supplies is the Ukranian Gift Shop. They have a wonderful website where you can read about the art of Pysanky as well as order anything you need.

Please let me know if you ever try this technique.  It's really very fun!  Happy Easter!


Front and back of egg--close up. 
After 2-3 coats of varnish, the last step in the process is blowing the egg. 
I use a tool called a "Blas-Fix" which is from Germany.
Unfortunately, I wasn't so experienced with the Blas-Fix
when I tried to clean out this one and it cracked. 
I was glad I photograhed it before that tragedy occured!





A couple of eggs I made for a friend at work last year.
(Anyone expressing any interest in these eggs
usually receives one or two as gifts.)  


My egg decorating station


 


Eggs don't have to be just for Easter. 
I made this "Royal" egg out of a goose egg shell. 
It was a gift for an English friend, given to her at a tea-party
she held celebrating the Royal Wedding. 
Perhaps I will soon make a Royal Baby egg.  Cheerio!

1 comment:

  1. Does the website have clear instructions about how to make the eggs? We have been so busy that we didn't dye any eggs this year. I think this would be a fun project for the kids and me. I think even my son would like it.

    ReplyDelete