Sunday, February 24, 2013

Take Flight with Fabulous Fleece

The Crafting Bee was on the road this week, traveling to/from Louisiana to visit family.  Special thanks to my Mother who guest stars in today's blog.
 
When boarding a plane, the first thing I do sanitize as much as possible by wiping down the seatback, armrests and traytop tables.  You may call me Mrs. Germaphobe but I am confident that I am keeping my family safe :-)

I want to travel comfortably, but as you can imagine I would never be caught dead snuggling with an airline issued blanket or pillow.  I once purchased a neck pillow from the airport, but didn't stop to read the fine print explaining that it's not washable (really?  after being used on plane?), and that if a small hole gets in the pillow that I could from die inhaling what's inside.
 

This leads to me to today's craft, the quick and easy fleece travel/neck pillow.  It's fully washable and, when used properly, can help you avoid the head bobbing/drooling that occurs without proper head support.  It can be worn around the neck, or rolled up and tucked behind your head.  There is nothing toxic to inhale inside should a small hole ever present itself.

For this project you will need fleece, a button, a small piece of elastic, stuffing, and a sewing machine to make a few straight stitches. 

In the example shown, we used leftover fleece, so it didn't cost a penny. 

Step 1:  Cut a rectangle of fleece approxmately 30 inches wide by 12 inches deep
Cutting a rounded edge

Step 2:  Fold the fleece over longways so that it now measures 30 x 6

Step 3:  Round the edges as shown.  We used a small saucer to mark the curve before we cut.

Step 4:  Select a button and measure the amount of elastic needed to firmly go around your button.  Pin the elastic to one of the long ends at the folded edge.


Step 5:  Sew as shown along the pink dotted line,  leaving a small opening to insert your stuffing.

Step 6:  Stuff the pillow.  We used "Cluster Stuff" by Mountain Mist.  I can usually find this on a shelf at Wal-Mart and they also have it online.  It's inexpensive and gives the feeling of down.  It's very soft!

Step 7:  Sew up the opening of your pillow (where you just inserted your stuffing)

Step 8:  Attach your button


Our young helper modeling her new travel pillow.
Step 9:  Enjoy your new travel pillow! 

Let me know if you try this, and how it turns out.

1 comment: