Saturday, February 9, 2013

Cut it out!


Left--View out of my front window.  Right--Fleecy our snowperson taking it all in.

We are in the middle of a blizzard here in New England.  A travel ban is in effect and we have over two feet of snow.  What a perfect time to craft and blog!


Today I want to share some cutting edge crafting tools:  scissors and rotary cutters.

The scissors are speciality items that I recently read about in another blog and just had to have.  The ones on the left are the Fiskars Wave.  They stopped making them (why Fiskars? why?) but my Mother found some for me online.  You can see the beautiful wave pattern they make on the left.

The ones on the right cut a scallop edge.  We found them online at Homesew.com (thanks Mom!).  Fiskars also made scallop ones but those were not to be found.

If you like these you might want to keep your eyes open at your local sewing store to see if they have any in stock that they have onhand for ahwhile. 

With good scissors, it's important to use them only on fabric.  Many types of paper contain chemicals as well as clay, which can be abrasive on scissors making them dull.  It's best to buy inexpensive paper scissors and keep them separate from your "good scissors". 

Lastly, no crafting room is complete without a rotary cutter and mat.  If you are cutting out scarves, or quilt blocks, or just want really straight lines, this is the way to go.  Here are two rotary cutters that I love. One is the basic plain one, the other is for pinking (it is slightly curved for a pretty edge).  Both are from Olfa.

Do you have any scissors or other cutting tools that you couldn't live without?  If so, please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite scissors are Gingher scissors. I have a left handed pair that my aunt gave me and a right handed pair that were my mother's. They are incredibly sharp and I never let anyone else in my house use them for fear that they might try to cut paper with them. I also love my tiny Kitty Snips by Hiya Hiya. They are tiny, little scissors that are great for taking on a plane or some other place where you can work on a project but don't want to drag anything other than your yarn and needles with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kitty Snips are adorable! I am ordering them from Amazon. So cute for travel as long as the TSA doesn't rear it's ugly head and confiscate them.

      Delete