Saturday, January 5, 2013

Yesterday's sweaters

What do you do with an old sweater or two (or 20)?  Here are a couple of recent projects that give yesterday's cozy (but outdated) sweaters a new life!

This first pillow was formerly a cardigan, making the pillow front unbutton to easily insert the pillow form.  How to:  Cut two squares, one from the sweater front and another from the sweater back; pin squares together (with right sides together) and make four side seams;  turn, insert pillow form and you are done!   Pillow forms come in many sizes so you should be able to get a standard size form to work for you.

The pillow goes great with my vintage Mickey and Minnie that my Mother made me for Christmas. (LOVE!)  I think Mic and Min seem very happy with the arrangement, don't you?



This is the backside of the pillow.   It was also the backside of the sweater. (yes...I actually did wear this)

 
The second pillow was also a favorite once (the sweater was from the "Tweeds" catalog--does anyone remember that?).  The sweater was huge and soft and comfy--perfect for a pillow.  The instructions are the same as above. 
 
 
The next time you clean out your closet, look closely at that sweater before you toss it.  Stay tuned for next week's post when I take lots of sweaters...and turn them into something even more cozy than a pillow!

5 comments:

  1. Too cute LJ. You are so crafty. My email is qrwest@centurytel.net. I love it.
    Roxane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have some mittens made from a sweater. When I get a chance, I'll take a picture and send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps now I should feel bad for Goodwill....less to donate...but I can go shop there and try this out. But I'm wondering, if I cut the knitting, want it come apart? What do I do to prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LJ - I'm so proud of you! This is awesome and I look forward to your future blogs. I can barely sew a button on, but this is such a cute idea I may have to get me sewing machine out of the dust and give it a try! Miss you!!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it possible I remember seeing you in the first sweater?! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete