Friday, May 8, 2020

The Bee is back and we're making masks

Hello all you Crafting Bee fans--it's been awhile!   My last blog was in December of 2013.  After a 6+ year hiatus the Bee is back!  The stay-at-home situation due to COVID19 has given me time to get back into sewing, as well as a chance to work on a project to give back to others during this time.

Ribbon candy? 
No just elastic :-)
So far I've made over 80 masks, giving them to friends and family from Louisiana to Alabama, South Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey and right here in Massachusetts.  I get a lot of inspiration from fellow mask makers at the "Sew You Care" group on Facebook.  Members of that group make hundreds and thousands of masks. 

Gardening, picnicking,
cupcakes are just a few prints
 I found in my fabric stash
If you have a sewing machine, fabric and elastic, you too can be a mask maker.  If you want to try, here are a few tips.

First--order elastic as it's hard to come by--I use Amazon and ebay but delivery usually takes a couple of weeks.  I use narrow elastic, about 1/4 inch in width.  I love the colors!

This paper doll pattern
is just adorable!  I kept one
 these for myself.
Start gathering fabrics.  If you are a crafter you probably have a stash like me, but if not look for 100% cotton blouses or shirts you no longer use, bandanas or pillowcases.  Anything that is cotton and has a tight weave will work.  I've been doing curb-side pick-up from Joann fabrics and they have a great a variety.

Find a pattern that works for your sewing ability.  I use a simple pattern that has two pleats on each side.  There are tons of videos online if you need to see someone else demonstrate.  I'm happy to email my pattern to anyone who might want it--use comments field to request it.

Your first mask may be challenging but by the time you've made five you'll be a pro.  Soon I expect that most every manufacturer will have a line of masks, and when you walk into a store, there will be a display of masks like we see racks of sunglasses.  So my hand made masks may not be in demand for very long  and how great it will be when we just don't need them any longer.  But until then I'll just keep sewing.

Bee well!  And please follow my blog.  I promise not to take another 6 year break.
my latest Disney line!













1 comment: