Monday, October 14, 2013

Perfect Potholders

Loom with loops (Harrisville Designs)

I don't know how old I was when I made my first potholder using an old metal loom.  I used bright cotton loops and would make many of them, happily giving them as Christmas gifts for family and friends.  Fast forward many years, and hundreds crafts later, and yes, I am still in the potholder business.

Three new wool potholders

Recently all of my old cotton potholders went missing.  I asked my husband several times and he denied seeing them, but I couldn't find them anywhere.  I got out my trusty loom, which was stored away with a bag of 100% wool loops and went to work. 

Wool loops are hard to find, but they are much better than cotton if you can find them. 


Wool is naturally fire resistant and the loops stretch much better than cotton, making them easier to work with.

The loom itself is also important.  Many newer (and cheaper ones) are made of plastic and I don't recommend them.  Harrisville Designs has a good selection of metal looms and kits.  High end toy stores also carry them. 

Oldies but goodies

As luck would have it, I found the old potholders today.  They had been placed out of my sight (on top of the fridge) with some other oven mitts (placed there by the tall man that I am married to).  Now I have an even better collection of pot holders--back in the drawer where they belong.  These old fashioned potholders can't be beat!

 




1 comment:

  1. I loved making these things as a kid. Thanks to your post, I know what I want for Christmas. Thanks for the link to Harrisville!

    ReplyDelete